After a lifetime of reading Archie comics, I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer to a burning question. And no, it’s not “What does Archie have that has kept two women on lock for 70 years?”
I want to know why Betty Cooper keeps dealing with Veronica Lodge.
Maybe it’s a case of keeping one’s enemies close, but only a masochist would consider Riverdale’s resident diva a “best friend.” Despite decades of being backstabbed, insulted and schemed against, Betty continues to play nice and dismiss Veronica’s behavior as the antics of an insecure, poor little rich girl. Veronica usually gets a comeuppance of some sort, but only after leaving Betty with third-degree burns.
The evidence that Veronica is one of the worst BFFs in the history of comic book friends is overwhelming. How about:
1. That time Veronica body-shamed Betty.
2. The 250th time she said Betty was poor and common …
3. When she beat Betty in tennis, gloated and said the girl was a loser …
4. That time B. and V. magically turned into guys (this happened) and “Ron” came off the sidelines to tackle “Billy” during a game in order to impress “Archina …”
… And was a bitch in the cafeteria.
5. When she paraded Archie past Betty’s house like he was a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day balloon.
6. The time she said this.
7. When she admitted that treating Betty like dirt was her hobby.
And that’s just from a handful of comics I grabbed off my shelf at random. Just once, I’d like to see Betty go off, HBO-style, on her BFF. What’s it going to take? Archie Comics has been taking a lot of risks lately, so let’s make this happen in 2014. Please, and thank you.